In the next instalment of our Employee Spotlight series, we chat with our engineer, Stephen Cosgrove. Stephen has been an essential part of our engineering team, and has been an integral part of establishing CM Gates & Barriers as experts in electric gate servicing, repairs, and installations. Keep reading to learn more about Stephens work history, his time with CM Gates, and his interests in reality TV.
1) How do you know Craig, and how did you end up working at CM Gates?
I’ve been friends with Craig since primary school. We went to different schools but stayed just round the corner from each other and also had friends in common. I started working at CM Gates in September 2019. I worked for British Gas before this and was offered voluntary redundancy so decided it would be a good chance for a change.
2) What is an average day like for you at work?
It can be any aspect of gate and barrier work – from servicing gates/barriers, call outs to gates/barriers that are faulty, or a new install where we could be doing anything from the civil work to wiring.
3) What is your favourite project you’ve worked on so far?
Probably a job we did for Honeywell due to the amount of work involved and the transformation from what it looked like before. There was an old portacabin at the entrance which we demolished and skipped. The 2 large bases that we dug out for the bifold gates to be fixed onto, along with the work done on the pedestrian gate (automating that as well.) It was good to see the end product and it all working.
4) Could you tell us a bit about your career before joining CM Gates?
I’ve worked in various places prior to CM Gates. I started working at Sky TV after leaving college at 18 and stayed there for 4 years. I then left to start a career as a recruitment consultant which wasn’t my calling so left and started with Crown House Technology as an electricians labourer. I then moved on to British Gas where I spent nine years – four as a meter fitter, and the remaining five as a coach.
5) What is one of the most challenging, and one of the most rewarding parts about this job?
6) From start to finish – how would you describe a typical gate installation?
7) What is something that people may not know about you, and what are some of your hobbies?
8) Could you tell us a little more about your family?
I’m married to Zoe who I’ve been with for 17 years. We have 2 kids – Skye (11) and Blair (4). We also have a dog called Milo who is 13.
9) You’ve driven many miles over the course of your time with CM Gates. What are some things you do to pass the time in the van? What kind of music fo you listen to, and what is your favourite song at the moment?
10) What do you hope for the future of the business?